ACTIVE LIVES FOR OLDER ADULTS
Older adults, individuals 55 and above, are a significant and growing segment of our communities. All seniors benefit from engaging in Y activities that enhance connections, decrease a sense of isolation, and improve overall well-being. Maintain your health and functional ability with programs designed especially for the needs of Seniors. We begin to lose bone density, balance and coordination as we age. The good news is that there is something we can do about it! Strength training and creating a fitness regime can deter or prevent these issues from occurring. Our Active Older Adult and Silver Sneaker classes will teach you how to build muscle strength, endurance and increase mobility. Everyday activities will become easier, posture will improve and you’ll look and feel great!
AOA Group Fitness Classes
The FFY offers a variety of classes that appeal to our active older adults. Classes are included as part of your FFY membership. These classes include:
- Forever Fit: Includes low impact aerobics, stretching and the use of light hand weights. This class helps keep muscles and bones strong and increases the particpant's balance, cooridnation and range of motion.
- Tai Chi: This class focuses on strengthening the central nervous system and stimulating the cerebal cortex. This helps the brain to rest and relieves certain nervous and mental disease. It involves a series of meovements performed in a slow, focused manner and accompanied by deep breathing.
- Movement Improvement: This class is specific to the population living with neurological disorders such as MS, Parkinson's, RA, etc. It is a safe exercise environment with goals of increasing range of motion, improving strength and balance, and socializing with others to gain better physical and neurological abilities.
- SilverSneakers Classic: Have fun and move to the music through a variety of exercises designed to increase muscular strength, range of motion, and activity for daily living. Hand-held weights and elastic tubing with handles and a ball are offered for resistance. Chairs are also used for seated and/or standing support.
- Zumba Gold: This easy to follow, low-impact class takes all of the fun and action of Zumba basic and tailors it to our active seniors. Sedentary or wheelchair bound participants can join in the fun as workouts will be altered to fit special needs.
- SilverSneakers Splash: Activate your urge for variety! Spash offers fun with shallow-water movement to improve agility and flexibility while addressing cardio, strength and endurance conditioning.
- Aqua Blast! – Get into the pool and rev up your heart rate! Cardio combined with strength combined with low-impact and endurance conditioning.
- Hydrocise – This class is excellent for participants of all ages and fitness levels. During class, you will perform a variety of exercises that work nearly every part of your body. This class incorporated resistive and cardio through circuit training.
- Into the Deep – Get pumped in this exciting interval water class. Must be comfortable in all depths of the pool. Working on cardio and strength.
- Water Boot Camp – Burn calories in this class! Great cardio, toning, endurance and strength workouts. You will leave feeling more energized and wanting more.
- Water Workout – Class uses water resistance to strengthen and tone muscles. Shallow water movement. Water provides resistance and reduces stress on joints.
AOA POTLUCKS ARE BACK!
The YMCA will be hosting an AOA (Active Older Adult) Potluck once a month.
Our next potluck is Friday, September 23, at 1:00 PM at the Christensen Family YMCA Camp (3402 W. Military Ave.). The main dish will be sponsored by Nye Health Services.
Please feel free to bring a guest – all are welcome to enjoy good food, fellowship, and fun! We ask that if you will be attending that you bring something to share with the others and your own table service. Please watch for fliers at the YMCA or follow the Fremont Family YMCA on Facebook for detailed information on future AOA potlucks.
If you haven’t taken advantage of your Renew Active by UnitedHealthcare fitness benefit yet, it’s a great time of year to set your personal fitness and health goals. Select UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage members have access to classes and even a fitness orientation with Renew Active™. For more information, go to myrenewactive.com.
The idea of growing older may worry some, but there's no reason it should. In partnership with the Fremont Family YMCA, Nebraska Methodist Health System's FREE AgeLess program is here for you.
The AgeLess program is designed for people who are 55 and older. Through this program, participants can enjoy educational seminars featuring a variety of health topics. Several support groups are available as well. Medical social workers and pharmacists will also be available to help guide AgeLess members through the world of advance directives, prescription questions, and ways to reduce medication costs.
AgeLess members can receive special discounts on Wellness Center memberships, health screenings, and more. Travel opportunities will be offered during the year, allowing members to relax, have fun, see new sights, and make new friends.
For more information about the Nebraska Methodist Health System's free AgeLess program, call 402-727-3844.
All 65+ members of the Fremont Family YMCA are automatically enrolled in the AgeLess program at Nebraska Methodist Health System which allows you to take advantage of all of these great benefits. A Wellness Center membership through the Ageless program includes usage of our fully staffed satellite site at Nebraska Methodist Health System.
Rates for this discounted membership are as follows: Individual $22.00 monthly; couple $27.00 monthly.
A membership that includes both the Nebraska Methodist Health System's satellite facility and the full Fremont Family YMCA main facility costs: Individual $46.75 monthly; couple $67 monthly. If you are over 65 the cost would be individual $36.00 monthly; 65+ couple 58.00 monthly.
Arrangements for this membership can be made at the YMCA. Contact Ashley Remington at 402-721-6952, or email@example.com, for more information.
Empowering active aging
The nation’s leading community fitness program designed specifically for seniors, SilverSneakers® promotes greater health engagement and accountability by providing members with regular exercise (strength training, aerobics, flexibility) and social opportunities at the Fremont Family YMCA at NO cost!